Thursday, April 5, 2012

Betty's Baked Mac n Cheese

* * * Update: ShopAldi has moved to a new home! Come visit us!  * * *


I really didn't mean to "dis" Betty Crocker in my cupcake post yesterday. I feel kind of bad about that. I really like Betty Crocker. I grew up with her cookbooks, and still have them. As a matter of fact, I still use them quite often. As I was making dinner tonight, I grabbed my favorite Betty Crocker cookbook to make my favorite Baked Mac and Cheese recipe. I realized that I used all Aldi products for the recipe! So look at that, Betty and Aldi can be friends.



And here is the "after" shot. This Baked Macaroni and Cheese is the absolute best ever. I promise! The infamous Betty Crocker recipe is below, but please be sure to use Aldi products! It tastes just as good as those name brand items, at a much cheaper price.

Betty Crocker's Baked Macaroni and Cheese
1 package (7 oz) penne macaroni (2 cups)
1/4 cup margarine or butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ground mustard
(I added 1/4 tsp onion powder too)

2 cups milk
2 cups shredded or cubed sharp Cheddar cheese (I used Aldi Shredded Mexican & Mozzarella)

Heat oven to 350°F.  Cook macaroni as directed on package. While macaroni is cooking, melt margarine in 3-quart saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minutes. Stir in cheese. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted. Drain macaroni. Gently stir macaroni into cheese sauce. Pour into ungreased 2-quart casserole. Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment